Instructions before Surgery
Please follow these guidelines in preparation for your surgical treatment:
1. Diet: Eat a full breakfast or lunch before your appointment to ensure a normal blood glucose level. Also, avoid caffeinated drinks, which may increase your heart rate and blood pressure. While there are no food restrictions before your procedure, a soft diet will be recommended for the remainder of the day following your procedure.
2. Medications: Take all routine medications as usual, except aspirin. Discontinue aspirin therapy 5 days prior to your surgery, if applicable.
3. Antibiotic Prophylaxis: If you require prophylactic antibiotics (prosthetic heart valve) or orthopedic prosthesis (artificial hip, knee, elbow, etc.), please discuss this with the doctor.
4. Escorts: Escorts or drivers are recommended.
5. Attire: Wear comfortable, layered clothing that will keep you warm and facilitate monitoring of your blood pressure (loose sleeves).
6. Post-Operative monitoring: Please plan to visit us in 5-7- days to re-evaluate your healing.
7. Recovery/rest period: The day and evening of the procedure should be reserved for your recovery. Placement of an ice pack for 6-8 hours, 20 minutes on 20 minutes off over the area is recommended. Weight lifting and heavy aerobic exercise may be resumed on the third day following surgery.
8. Smoking: Smoking is prohibited for 24 hours following surgery.
9. Scheduling: At times, last minute emergency patients can cause delays. We value your time and will try to keep you updated when delays occur. However, please adjust your schedule to allow some extra time.
10. All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied on each visit by their parent or legal guardian.
We look forward to being of service to you. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call us.
Click Here to Print these Instructions