Why Is Your Natural Tooth Worth Saving?
What is Root Canal Therapy and Why Do You Need It?
Root canal therapy, or RCT, is the treatment of infection and inflammation on the inside of a damaged tooth. When a tooth is compromised by deep cavities or trauma, root canal therapy is used to rid the tooth of infection and retain its natural structure— and the more remaining natural tooth structure, the better.
GentleWave Procedure: A Different Approach to Root Canal Therapy
The GentleWave® Procedure takes a different approach to root canal therapy, using a minimally invasive protocol designed to help preserve optimal tooth structure and promote the long-term sustainability of the tooth.
Many patients — especially those who have previously undergone standard root canal treatment — describe the GentleWave Procedure as comfortable.
Standard root canal treatment often involves multiple visits to your dentist or endodontist. The GentleWave Procedure can usually be completed in just one visit.
The GentleWave Technology combines energy with optimized disinfecting fluids to flush away debris and tissue from your tooth’s root canal system.
Standard Root Canal Treatment
- An opening is made in the tooth's crown, providing access to the canal.
- Files are used to remove tissue, and the root canals are disinfected using irrigants.
- The toors are filled to prevent reinfection, usually with a substance called gutta percha.
- A temporary filling is placed in the opening. At a second or third appointment, a permanent crown is placed.
But keep in mind...
Root canal systems are very complex, with lots of twists and turns. They make it difficult for files and treatment fluid alone to remove tissues and bacteria, especially near the tip of the tooth's root. Plus, your canal walls are lined with countless microscopic nooks and crannies, which are great places for bacteria to hide.
GentleWave Root Canal Treatment
- The GentleWave® Procedure helps preserve tooth structure by using fluid dynamics and broad- spectrum acoustic energy to clean and disinfect the root canal system.
- That means fewer files may be used than during standard root canal treatment.
- The GentleWave Procedures cleans and disinfects through every twist and turn, all the way down to the tip of the tooth root.
- It sends powerful cleansing vortices throughout your tooth.